Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday evening toons: First turns, Pepsi versus Coke, and thirty days left on the doomsday clock


Perhaps it's because my father died over forty years ago, and my mother only a few years later, that I don't really zero in on Fathers Day and Mothers Day cartoons much. Although I have a number of friends – and a nephew! – who are celebrating the day, and I wish them well.

That being said, the clock continues to tick down: Will the Slo-Mo Exploding Citrus get the nomination he so richly (and I choose my words with care) deserves? Or will the hapless GOP establishment make their situation worse by finding some way in the next thirty days to hamstring him at the convention – only to make their options for the general election even uglier in the process? I mean, you know what I'm rooting for: seats in the first turn at the Indy 500. Not proud of it, but there we are.

And I find it ridiculous to see gun enthusiasts arguing that the difference between an actual by-god AR-15 and a Sig Sauer whatever matters. It's like arguing about the difference between Death by Coke and Death by Pepsi.

Today's toons were selected from the week's offerings at McClatchy DC, Cartoon Movement, Go Comics, Politico's Cartoon Gallery, Daryl Cagle's Political Cartoons, About.com, and other fine sources of toony goodness.

p3 Picks of the week: Mike Luckovich, Rob Rogers, Gary Varvel, Signe Wilkinson, John Deering, Darrin Bell, Clay Jones, Tim Eagan, Stuart Carlson, Nick Anderson, Matt Weurker, (see CSotD, below, for the back-story of Weurker's toon), and Monte Wolverton.

p3 Best of Show: Matt Davies.

p3 Legion of Merit: Jeff Danziger.

p3 "High Ground Of Language" Medal: Tom Toles.

p3 Animal Hero First Class Class: Jim Morin.

p3 Level D Hazmat Suit Award: Robert Arial.


Ann Telnaes follows the trail – and indirectly reminds us why Anthony Kennedy is a sad joke of a Supreme Court Justice.



Tom Tomorrow answers a question I raised – in an internet vacuum – about six months ago.

Keith Knight finds the pot o' gold a bit overrated.

Reuben Bolling salutes a superhero with two powers – only one of which he gives a shit about.

Red Meat's Johnny Lemonhead is slow on the pick-up.


The Comic Curmudgeon acknowledges a venerable tradition.


It's a Comic Strip of the Day twofer: First, as a former Boy Scout who had the flag-raising duty at my local school, I share his dismay at the degradation of flag etiquette until it's the equivalent of standing ovations for every stage production (extra points for writing "leaves open the question" instead of this). Second, speaking of blasts from my personal past, I salute his invocation of NIGYYSOB.


Organization – that's the ticket! Directed in 1953 by Jack Kinney, "Father's Day Off" features uncredited voice work by Pinto Colvig (who also voiced Bluto for several years) and Alan Reed (who voiced Fred Flintstone). Roger Rabbit was right – Goofy is a GEEN-ius!



The Right-Sized Oregon Toon Block:

Ex-Oregonian Jack Ohman gets behind the lines. I have political reasons why I don't want Warren to run as Clinton's VP, but I get his point.

Documented Ex-Oregonian Jen Sorensen describes one of her least-favorite parts of being a political cartoonist.

Matt Bors makes it more of a women's issue thing than I'd like, but my contempt for "thoughts and prayers" at a time like this is already on the record.

Jesse Springer takes notice of the Pacific Northwest's latest boom.




Test your toon-captioning superpowers with the New Yorker's weekly caption-the-cartoon contest. (Rules here.) And you can browse The New Yorker's cartoon gallery here.



No comments: