Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The unforgiving minute: That moment when you realize how screwed we are

Today was a beautiful, clear day, low 60s, not quite t-shirt weather anymore but not crisp enough to count as football weather. I was walking down the street, just drinking it all in, and then suddenly I realized:

Under the Presidential Succession Act of 1947, this guy is second in line to the presidency of the United States.

In another era, for a different leader, it would have been a stunning rebuke. For John Boehner, it was just another embarrassing stumble in a speakership studded with them.

House Republican leaders canceled a planned Tuesday night vote on a Boehner-backed proposal to resolve the debt and budget crises hanging over the U.S., but the dramatic news was met with shrugs and snorts. Facing a critical test, having brought the nation to the brink of default, the nation’s top Republican failed to rustle up the votes once again—and the humiliation took nobody by surprise.

The next thing I knew, I was sitting on the curb with my head between my knees and an EMT was telling me to keep breathing slowly.

Minute's up.

No comments: