Monday, August 17, 2009

The LO/KPOJ "Lost Limerick Challenge"

This morning's Oregon news limericks, as written by me, read by quizmaster TJ of Loaded Orygun, and answered (usually) by Carl, Christine,and Paul on the KPOJ 620AM Morning Show, are posted at LO.

I'm afraid I don't have a whole Lost Limerick to share this morning. I had one extra poem that I struggled with for a long time yesterday, based on this Item:

A prisoner at Inverness Jail is suing Multnomah County Sheriff Bob Skipper because guards allegedly won’t allow him to wear a yarmulke.

The trick with the Limerick Challenge, of course, is that you have less room to maneuver on rhymes because you're reverse-engineering from the missing word or phrase. There are no really good rhymes for "yarmulke," as you may have guessed: there's "mocha," and "polka," and that's about it. And it didn't help that I stumbled on this rhyme for lines 3 and 4, and then couldn't get it out of my head:

So perhaps Sheriff Skipper
Should just wait for Yom Kippur--

Finally, I gave up. So consider this a homework exercise: Compose a limerick for this news story for which the point of the story is contained in the last (missing) word or phrase.

Ready? Begin.

No comments: