Thursday, April 2, 2009

Why do you think they call them "fools?"

[Updated below.]

I took a vow a few years ago that I wouldn't write about this person in p3 again, but this is just too good to pass up:

In her April 1 column, Ann Coulter fell for a fake April Fools' Day article by Car and Driver magazine that claimed that President Obama has ordered General Motors and Chrysler to cease their participation in NASCAR because it is an "unnecessary expenditure." Coulter wrote, "If Obama can tell GM and Chrysler that their participation in NASCAR is an 'unnecessary expenditure,' isn't having public schools force students to follow Muslim rituals, recite Islamic prayers and plan 'jihads' also an 'unnecessary expenditure'?"


Even allowing for the fact that the trigger was an April Fools Day joke (which she evidently didn't get), to go from Obama and NASCAR to mandatory Islamic prayer in public schools in one jump is a truly remarkable achievement.

Still, it's good to know that she reads Car and Driver regularly.

[Update: Oh dear. Looks like even her peer group managed to avoid getting sucked in.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your restraint...

Nothstine said...

Hey, stranger.

I'd like to think that my moratorium on her is what's driven her somewhat away from the center of the cultural radar screen since 2005, but it's probably just that I got tired of her sooner than Time magazine and Bill Maher did.

Ah well.

bn

coffee maker said...

happy belated April fool's day...

i don't think pulling funding for Nascar would have been so inappropriate in any case, desperate times and all

Nothstine said...

I dunno. I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but my sense is that the money the Big 3 spend on it is basically marketing.

I suppose there's always some executive vanity involved, but seems like NASCAR is not really one of their wackier investments . . . ?

bn