Thursday, April 23, 2009

The unforgiving minute

I stand with Charlie Pierce: No president--including Obama--should get to pick and choose which laws he'll enforce on something as important as state-sanctioned torture. We tried that with Bush, and look how it turned out.

Yes I'd be royally pissed if, after Bush and Cheney, et al., were tried and convicted (you can have your pick of charges), Obama granted them clemency (commutation, pardon, whatever) and not a single one of them ever saw a day of jail time, and I think a lot of other people would be pissed too.

But I wouldn't be nearly as pissed as I am now, when it looks like they're never even be put on the stand under oath and the case will never go to a jury--not in America, and not anywhere else.

Now there's a GOP campaign issue for 2012: Was Obama a girlie-man, or a traitor, or both, for not nuking The Netherlands after the World Court indicted Bush?

(Hat tip to Doctor Beyond.)

Minute's up.

No comments: