Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday tunes: "Crazy for feelin' so blue"

Willie Nelson recorded it (and why not, since he wrote it?); so did several other artists and groups over the years. But Patsy Cline owned "Crazy," and planted it at #85 on the Rolling Stone's list of Top 500 Songs (between "Every Breath You Take" and "Thunder Road"--go figure).




Cline recorded that amazing vocal track with broken ribs, following a car accident. That led to a couple of stories:

Loretta Lynn remembers the first time Cline performed it at the Grand Ole Opry on crutches, she received three standing ovations. Barbara Mandrell remembers Cline introducing the song to her audiences live in concert saying "I had a hit out called 'I Fall to Pieces' and I was in a car wreck. Now I'm really worried because I have a new hit single out and it's called 'Crazy.'"

All of which leads me to a bit of shameless promotion: The Broadway Rose Theatre Company has kicked off its first season at the New Stage (its 19th season overall) with "Always . . . Patsy Cline." Sara Catherine Wheatley, who plays Cline, is fabulous. The show runs until Sunday, March 15. You'll hate yourself if you miss it.

No comments: