Monday, November 19, 2007

They came for the writers at Leno, Conan, and Carson

But Leno was never that funny, Carson Daly should be paying his network, and all those writers get two weeks' severance anyway, so I didn't speak up.

Then they came for the writers of SNL, but despite its brief uptick during the Tina Fey years, for the last fifteen years the show's been little more than a legacy movie mill for its cast, and should have had a proper Viking funeral while Reagan was still president, so even though it looks like they won't get even a nanosecond's severance, I didn't speak up.

But before they come for me, I'm going to do the one thing those media conglomerates fear most--I'm posting about it on my blog. Hah!

(Actually, while things aren't great for the late-night writers, they're apparently not that bad, yet. I needed a peg to hang this post on. So sue me. That link above--note it's from FOX News--is probably more about perpetuating strike-breaking rumors than anything you and I would ordinarily call "reality," so it shouldn't be trusted very far. See some better-grounded news about the strike here and, of course, here. But, for the record, I do think Leno's pretty thin gruel, Daly's worse, and SNL's over the hill.)

In a piquant bit of irony, here are two three internet video clips supporting the strike by the members of the Writers Guild, who are trying to see that they get fair payment--any payment--when their work is shown on the internet.







Quake with fear, Rupert Murdock and Sumner Redstone! Let's see you dare come for me now. I don't think you've got the stones. Not if it means getting blogged about at p3.

(Hat tip to Crooks and Liars, and Eschaton and Daily KOS.)

No comments: