Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Damn. Damn, damn, damn. Tonight, against my will, I'm a Hoosier again.
Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.

Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.

To whom it may concern: It is springtime. It is late afternoon.

Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?

That last one is among my darkest fears, for those who really want to know. And so it goes.

Meanwhile, how long as it been since you read Slaughterhouse-Five? What are you waiting for?

1 comment:

Lance Mannion said...

I have Slaughterhouse Five memorized. It downloaded itself whole into my brain when I read it when I was 14. But I just finished God Bless You, Mr Rosewater and I'm moving on to Mother Night tonight. I wish writers didn't feel like they had to die to get us to re-read their books.