Friday, April 28, 2006

Serves me right for going to bed after "The Word"

I've rarely found that the interviews on "The Colbert Report" to be that entertaining or enlightening, so I usually cash it in at about 11:40pm Pacific, Monday through Thursday.

Which is why I missed Colbert's interview with Bill Kristol last night--sorry to everyone who came looking for it here. For the record, Crooks & Liars has the video, and Think Progress has the transcript of the juicy part.

Sorry I didn't stay up for that one. In general, Colbert's faux interviews are more interesting when the target is someone on the right, rather than the left, I think. His general approach--which, in fairness, is much better honed because the show has survived its initial 8-week shakedown cruise--is for his character to go right. With guests from the left or of no obvious political position, that ends up kind of mushy. But when you've got a full-tilt right winger like Kristol on, Colbert is able to out flank him--on the even-more-right--and say, "Why aren't you all the way out here with me?" The results made even Kristol nervous.

The overall effect was reminiscent of Spy Magazine at its satirical and subversive best (check #7).

No comments: