Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday morning tunes: Patricia

This was a song I remember vividly from back when, although I never knew the name of it. Finally, today, I gave up and called my friend Keith, host of Strictly the Sixties with Keith Semmel at 93.5 WCCR LP FM. No lyrics, so I had to semi-sing it over the phone.(Semi-singing mambo instrumental over the phone is really not my strong suit, I should mention.) An hour later Keith called me back with the answer:


As I've said before, it's good to know people.

"Patricia" was the last record to ascend to #1 on the Billboard Jockeys and Top 100 charts, both of which gave way the next week to the then newly introduced Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song was also number one on the R&B Best Sellers for two weeks.All in 1958. So there you go.

And Perez Prado had another hit that I remember well (and again, I'm indebted to Grandmaster Keith for drawing my attention to it.) Watch for it next weekend.

No comments: