Friday, November 29, 2013

Let the games begin!

As some loyal readers know, the day after Thanksgiving begins a battle of wits, cunning, and physical agility between Your Humble Narrator and the Omnipresent Holiday Music Industry.

Specifically, I take it as a personal challenge to make it from today until Christmas Eve without hearing The Little Drummer Boy. The reasons are complicated.

Beginning today, the moment I hear the song – unless its being played by someone who knows about the game and is trying to derail me, or unless it's this version – pfft! The game is over until next November.

The Commissioner has ruled that winning is judged by how close I make it to December 24th, not how far I make it from the variable day after Thanksgiving, so I have an advantage this year. Twenty-six days. Think good thoughts.


Darley Ware said...

I am still in the running. Here is another writer that agrees with you:

Nothstine said...

Hah! Thanks for passing along the Slate article. It's good to find a sympathizer.

Actually, whether by my example or because they sprouted up coincidentally, I've found a handful of people are playing the WOLDB game. Gives me hope.

Alas, I'm out of the game as of shortly before noon today.

Good luck, and may the odds be ever on your side.