Friday, November 29, 2013

Let the games begin!

As some loyal readers know, the day after Thanksgiving begins a battle of wits, cunning, and physical agility between Your Humble Narrator and the Omnipresent Holiday Music Industry.

Specifically, I take it as a personal challenge to make it from today until Christmas Eve without hearing The Little Drummer Boy. The reasons are complicated.

Beginning today, the moment I hear the song – unless its being played by someone who knows about the game and is trying to derail me, or unless it's this version – pfft! The game is over until next November.

The Commissioner has ruled that winning is judged by how close I make it to December 24th, not how far I make it from the variable day after Thanksgiving, so I have an advantage this year. Twenty-six days. Think good thoughts.

2 comments:

Darley Ware said...

I am still in the running. Here is another writer that agrees with you:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/12/20/thomas_circle_singers_six_ways_that_christmas_carolers_can_avoid_being_robbed.html

Nothstine said...

Hah! Thanks for passing along the Slate article. It's good to find a sympathizer.

Actually, whether by my example or because they sprouted up coincidentally, I've found a handful of people are playing the WOLDB game. Gives me hope.

Alas, I'm out of the game as of shortly before noon today. http://nothstine.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-war-is-over-december-20-2013-at.html

Good luck, and may the odds be ever on your side.