Wednesday, July 31, 2013

RIP Doghouse Riley

If your browser won't display the embedded version, click here

I never met the blogger Doghouse Riley, though I reckon there were probably times during my occasional family visits when we must have been no more than about twenty miles apart – didn't even know his real name until I read it in his obituary. If I had gotten to meet him, I imagine I'd have other topics to bring up than whether his pseudonym actually came from the Raymond Chandler novel.

He was, it seemed to me, that luckiest of individuals: A man with a wicked sense of humor, a genuine voice, and the indignation of a badger, whose chosen subject – Indiana politics – afforded him an exceptionally target-rich environment.

I particularly enjoyed his shiv-like deployment of the well-turned phrase, such as here. And here. Elected and appointed miscreants in the Hoosier state – of which there is an endless supply – have gotten an undeserved break.

We can ponder the sweet irony that the last word on his site went to the woman he always referred to as My Poor Wife.

No comments: