Monday, June 24, 2013

You should wish your Wikipedia entry started out like this. In fact, I should wish mine did.

Richard Burton Matheson:
(February 20, 1926 – June 23, 2013) was an American author and screenwriter, primarily in the fantasy, horror, and science fiction genres. He is perhaps best known as the author of The Shrinking Man, Hell House, What Dreams May Come, Bid Time Return (filmed as Somewhere in Time), A Stir of Echoes, and I Am Legend, all of which have been adapted as major motion pictures, the last at least three times. Matheson also wrote several television episodes of The Twilight Zone for Rod Serling, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" and "Steel". He later adapted his 1971 short story "Duel" as a screenplay which was promptly directed by a young Steven Spielberg, for the TV movie of the same name.
I like that bit about “I Am Legend” being adapted as a motion picture “at least three times” – hedging their bet on the Will Smith vehicle, perhaps?

Rest in peace, Richard Matheson. I wonder if he's headed now toward that place where the unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast meet, like the closing of a gigantic circle?

If your browser won't display the embedded version, click here.

1 comment:

Carl Fisher said...

wikipedia won't allow me to have my own entry, yet Paris Hilton, Justin Beiber, and Al Snow all have them!