Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saturday morning tunes: The season ended at 1:28pm PT, Thursday 12/15


Worse -- or better, depending on how you feel about it -- it ended a second time about 15 minutes later. As some p3 followers remember, I make it a personal challenge to go from Thanksgiving Day until Christmas Eve without hearing “The Little Drummer Boy.”

Call it a dream. It's true, I have some bizarre affection for some covers of the song, but the reality is that the song itself just grates on me. (Anyone who saw the spot-on parody of the song at the Broadway Rose's A Very PDX-MAS knows what I'm talking about.)

Anyway --ironies of ironies -- I had just clicked on to Part 3 of the Christmas special on Strictly The Sixties when my old (and blameless) pal Keith, who hosts StS, let go with Lou Rawls' R&B version of “The Little Drummer Boy.” I had barely picked myself up off the floor when he followed up with the ultra-rare Jimi Hendrix cover of the same song. By then, I was nailed. Wham. There was nothing more I could do.

With the benefit of hindsight, this could be the reason I dislike the song so much. Maybe not, but it's certainly possible.


If your browser won't display the embedded version, click here.

My mixed feelings of irritation and envy about Larry Matthews are spelled out here.

No comments: