Monday, September 20, 2010

It all depends on how you look at things

I remember a time when liberals and lefties were the ones with the reputation for looking at the glass as being half-full.




Has that changed since 1969? At a $30K per plate fundraise this week, Obama says it has:

Democrats, just congenitally, tend to get -- to see the glass as half empty. (Laughter.) If we get an historic health care bill passed -- oh, well, the public option wasn't there. If you get the financial reform bill passed -- then, well, I don't know about this particularly derivatives rule, I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with that. And gosh, we haven't yet brought about world peace and -- (laughter.) I thought that was going to happen quicker. (Laughter.) You know who you are. (Laughter.)

Tin-ear for political metaphor, or simply forgetting the origin of the connection between glasses of water and liberals? Probably the latter.

Glenn Greenwald provides a helpful list of some of the things that conspicuous that have become conspicuous by their absence from the glass these days. (Missing verb. Sorry.)

I guess it really does all depend on how you look at things.

No comments: