Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sunday afternoon tunes: As God is my witness, I don't know why this song is stuck in my head

I don't mean to disparage the song; when Shel Silverstein writes it and Johnny Cash performs it, there can be no artistic cause for complaint. It's just that, when I can, I prefer to pick the songs myself that loop in my head, over and over. So I'm putting it here, partly for your enjoyment and partly in the hope that the voices inside my head can move on to other things on such a beautiful afternoon.




A friend of mine is convinced that, no matter what song you're stuck with, this song can drive it out. And probably he's right, but it's sort of like the rhyme about the old lady who swallowed the fly, then swallowed a spider to catch the fly: Now how do you get rid of that?

No comments: