Monday, December 21, 2009

What a difference two seconds makes

Quick! Look at your watch. You've got less than a minute.

Wait for it . . . wait for it . . . Yes!

The winter solstice occurred at 9:47am PT today, marking the point where my days start getting longer again. (Run your finger down the "Difference" column to see.)

Right now it's only two more seconds of daylight per day--but I can feel those extra two seconds. I know they're there. Tomorrow it'll be seven seconds. The next day 12 seconds.

Where I live, sunlight will return at a gradually accelerating rate until mid-March when we'll crest at around 3 min 13 sec/day. After that the days will continue getting longer, but at a gradually slowing rate until it all balances on the razor's edge again next June 21st, at which point . . .

Well, we won't go into that now. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy every second of it.




Sun, sun, sun, here we come.

1 comment:

Scrutatrix said...

Word.