Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Perhaps the fault was mine. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Last week, when I said I'd heard enough of the emails between (still-)Governor Mark Sanford and "the other woman." There are privacy issues regarding the family, of course, but mainly it was that the image of Sanford doing it with anyone, any time, anywhere, was definitely not something I wanted stuck in my head.

My admonishment was directed toward the mainstream and alternative media. It simply never entered my mind I needed to worry about Sanford himself using the occasion of an AP interview to let his inamorata know she's still his "soul mate."

This is classic masochism on Sanford's part, enduring pain to increase desire. Fine. If he's going to get off on public self-inflicted humiliation, who am I to stand in his way?

In fact, I dedicate this Tom Lehrer classic to the governor--while he still is the governor.

No comments: