Saturday, March 21, 2009

Saturday tunes: "Change your shirt, 'cause tonight we got style"



Thursday night, Jon Stewart--rested up from 22 minutes of head-butting Jim Cramer a few nights earlier--had Bruce Springsteen on as his guest.

The interview ended up with this exchange:

Stewart: I do what I do because of Bruce Springsteen, and I'll tell you why: You introduced me to the concept of "the other side." You introduced me to the concept of "you go through the tunnel, and you take a chance, and you can work to get away from your circumstance, and by working to get away from your circumstance you can make something better of yourself." But there's no guarantee. What I loved about what you do and your music is it's complex. It's that you can work to change what you do, but when you get to the other side you may be in Iraq and you may be gunned down in the street. But you know what? The joy of it is chasing that dream, and that was my inspiration for leaving New Jersey and going to New York, and . . . [crosstalk] . . . I just wanted to thank you personally from the bottom of my heart for giving me something to put into the dashboard as I drove the U-Haul van through the Holland Tunnel.

Springsteen: Well, all I can say is, "You have done well, Grasshopper."

There's no doubt--none--that they were talking about this song:




Props to Mark, who--some thirty-plus years ago--sat me down and made me listen to this song.

2 comments:

Mark Pollock said...

At least you were teachable ;-)

Nothstine said...

Good point. Guess I'd better go update my resume.

bn