Friday, November 28, 2008

Tagged the first day out

Years ago--for reasons I won't drag you into now--I decided that a happy Christmas season would be one in which I didn't hear "The Little Drummer Boy."

Once, in the 20 years or so since I started keeping track, I made it to Christmas day without hearing It. Other than that one lucky season, my personal best was December 17th.

Until this year, my worst showing was the year I heard it on December 3rd.

Today--Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving--I heard it at around 4pm on the canned music at the local supermarket.

And it's still November.

Yeesh. The good news is that, next year, it can only get better.


Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Was it the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version?

Nothstine said...

Sadly no. It was just some generic singer with a generic studio orchestra, sold by the yard for supermarket soundtracks.

At least losing to the Bowie/Crosby version, curiosity that it is, would still have had some dignity.