Monday, September 29, 2008

The loneliness of the long-distance McCain troll

Got this email today from long-time p3 correspondent Doctor Beyond:

I've noticed, or think I have, a growing lack of McCain support trolls in the comment sections of online articles.

See this article at the Washington Post site, for example. This should be just covered in self-righteous McCain folks working their talking points and blaming Obama, but the comment section is eerily calm.

So I checked this one at Politico at sort of random. Not one McCain defender in the comments.

Even at New Republic Online, I found the same thing with this piece titled "They Both Lost on the Debate." I stopped a couple of scrolls past the Democrat who posted without anyone saying, "Hell no it wasn't a tie! McCain won big time. Get your left-wing ass out of here."

To further my thesis, this piece at Time hasn't a single McCain supporter in the comments section.

It may be my selective perception or a too-limited sample, but the McCain supporters who leave comments to defend their guy and their party seem to be in relatively short supply these days. It may be that the Republican Troll Base has just decided that McCain/Palin ain't worth their time and electrons.

Finishing up my political readings and figuring I was off that topic, I stumbled upon this at National Geographic's site:

In 373 B.C., historians recorded that animals, including rats, snakes and weasels, deserted the Greek city of Helice in droves just days before a quake devastated the place.

Perhaps that's the metaphor for McCain support on the internets.

Try it. Pick something and see how many McCain folks show.

No comments: