Saturday, February 24, 2007

The conservative satire gap (continued)

It's been the sort of week that militates against posting--apologies--but the up side is that I can follow up directly on my previous post about the Fox News Channel's oxymoronic right-wing satire show.

My original plan, early in the week, was to talk about its dreadfully over-the-top laugh track, comparing it to the punchline of an old joke about a kid who was so ugly his parents had to tie a pork chop around his neck so the family dog would play with him.

The passage of time has allowed me to go at it in a somewhat higher-toned manner.

In fact, I'm simply going to turn it straight over to Keith Olbermann, who takes the principle to its logical extreme: If bad satire can benefit from a heavy-handed laugh track, why wouldn't the same be true for ridiculously ideologically slanted "news?"

(h/t to Crooks and Liars)

No comments: