Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Salon.com borrows "hollow man" meme from PPP

Loyal readers know I've gotten some mileage in the last few weeks from characterizing Bush as "the hollow man" (see here, here, and here).

And I just want to say, for the record, that I'm not going to turn this into a CJRDaily-style pissing contest, just because Salon has rather obviously borrowed my meme this week.

I'm resisting the temptation for several reasons.

First, I'm reasonably certain that no one at Salon.com knows this blog exists (well, maybe the Senior VP for Operations knows, but that's a story for another time; certainly everyone on the editorial side is blissfully unaware).

Second, let's point out the obvious--I borrowed the phrase from T.S. Eliot in the first place; if he's not going to raise a stink about it, I won't either. (And yes, it was from Eliot--it sure as hell wasn't from here.)

And finally, doggone it, I'm just too nice a guy.

Actually, it's a fairly interesting article - even if I didn't write it - comparing Bush's testy indifference to the suffering caused by his Iraq war to the anguish LBJ went through regarding Vietnam. It's behind some obligatory ad-viewing for non-subscribers, but give it a look.

No comments: